04 December 2006

Ali'asa My New Friend

It's always so nice to be in the company of your own people, in this case, Malaysians. I went for dinner with a new friend from tanahair last night. Ali'asa, as I've now started to fondly call him by, has been working for UNAMA in Kabul, Afghanistan for the last 3.5 years.
Ali'asa is a Malaysian, and this morning after I studied the photos he sent me below, I can safely agree with him that he does look Filipino. And I call him Ali'asa because that's his User ID on his work email address, and I found it to sound very Japanese!

Ali'asa and I have something great in common - we both love travelling and shopping, and shopping while on travels is best! The big difference is that he could so afford it while I have to scrape by just to get on a plane. Ali'asa said we could go to Bali in June/July, which will be his next holiday after his fully-booked holiday in March with his Austrian boss.
I said "Bali does not count!" because Bali is so close to home and something that comes easily to him. Not that I want anything difficult to go to him, but you know, Bali almost homeground to him. So he said we could go somewhere else, and I said "I get to pick the location, eh?!" The answer is "Yes", though I know he really wants to go back to New York!
Ali'asa, I'll let you know in due course, but Denpasar for now is a promise!