18 September 2008

Mon Examen du Francais

I had my French test today. It was nerve-wrecking. Days before, I had already started to dream with snippets in French. I skipped my other lecture this morning (which was not important, and definitely no more important than my French examination) just so that I could have more time to calm my nerves in time for the test in the afternoon.

The examination turned out to be pretty elementary, although my lack of rememberance in conjugation (I always mixed this up with "fornication" - I have never heard of "conjugation" before I took up French, unlike "fornication" which I have heard x many times!) shone through in this test. The test was divided into three sections: grammar, essay and listening comprehension.

For the second part, the essay, I wrote about a fresh graduate from Sciences-Po, Michel-ange, who at the invitation of his colleague Pierre at Societe-Generale, accepted a dinner invitation to his house. Michel-ange brought flowers from Marche Fleur for his colleague's wife Marieve (inspired by Marco's new girl friend who is first-French and third-Canadian), and together they had a conversation about his background. Michel-ange Pascal, his full name, also told Marieve that he is borned on 2 April and that he is 31 years old, and enjoys playing golf and jogging.

I tell everyone that my French convenor is rolling on the floor laughing as he is marking my papers now. Let's see if creativity and humour will gain me any extra brownie points to compensate for the lack of fluency in the test.