20 December 2006

Raise the Red Lantern

Last night at 10pm, I jumped out of bed and into Clarence's car - because I was very hungry, so we went to look for food. Clarence is Indian/Pakistani/Aussie and his colleague Chris is British. My oh my eventually we ended up having greasy chinese noodles in a whore house! On our way there, I kept asking them what is the name of the restaurant because I know all the Chinese restaurants in town, but no no no this I do not know, and its name is "Holiday Inn". But not your average accomodation with the familiar green oval logo.

This place is a corner bungalow with high walls and gates (don't they all) in Qala-e-Fatullah, guarded by an Afghan man who looks like he had been smoking crack all day (don't they all). Talk about red-light district - once inside, the dingy room is lighted with red lights, oriental lanterns (did you guys watch Gong Li's award-winning movie, "Raise the Red Lantern (1991)", when the master visits the concubine of his choice, a red lantern must be raised outside her room), pool table, loud Cheena Ah Beng music.

I counted altogether there were 10 perempuans. They were all so ugly looking, too much make up, overdressed like Cheena Ah Lians and speak very very bad English! "Oh you come hemsem man - I happy see youuuu!" And they were talking behind my back in front of me! They were trying to guess if I was also a Chinese, and I pretended I couldn't understand them and just spoke perfect American English and ate my steamed dumplings and greasy noodles and downed my orange-flavoured Bacardi Breezer!