My 3 best girl friends in Kabul all flew out of Afghanistan today - one for good. Fenja flew to Denmark, Parul to Martinique/Paris/London and Zurina to Malaysia. And also Clarence flew to Perth. Now who am I left with in Kabul?! Me, myself and I.
I thought it was going to be a tough shit day, but thankfully it wasn't. I just absorbed myself in reading Amazon and Wikipedia, and in some new books I "borrowed without permission" from Ottawa Resorts today:
The World Is Flat: The Globalized World in the Twenty-first Century by Thomas Friedman (this is his third book which I own)
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka (fiction, ewww!)


Today seems to be like a Book Day. My colleague Daoud brought his books to lend me:
The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad (which I read halfway when our Harvard intern Andrew Wehrley came to stay with us, but left 7 weeks later)
The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli (he was full of praise for this book, but I don't know if I can stomache this renaissance classic about "politics of power")

