09 March 2007

Chue Bu Hou Huey

This is in response to Maya's blog entry on "about regrets".

Regret is a topic I always dig out to torture myself. I like to sound all perfectionist and say I have no regrets. But I do have them, in fact many of them. All the perfectionist me can say now is "Yes, I have regrets and if given a second chance in life, I would live life the other way round. But the whole purpose of saying sorry (including those from yourself to yourself) is not to repeat the same mistake, to learn from it, and to make the most of whatever that is beyond that realisation of a regret."

My little cousin once said something which I now tag to her as the wise girl who said it. My mother asked her if she was sure about (doing) something. She said, "Chue bu hou huey". Literally translated to "Definitely no regrets". Sounds very adult for a kid to say four words that sound so confident that there is not a hint of possible oncoming regrets hovering over her. Next time before embarking on an action, do two things: 1) remind yourself, "When in doubt, don't do it" and 2) ask yourself, "Chue bu hou huey?!"

Whatever your regret is, think Sliding Doors (1998). Life could go this way, or that way, but either way, we will all turn out just fine. Different results, but just fine.