09 March 2007

I Am Sudut

I never thought I'd be given another nickname. I've lived with "Lammie" for most part of my school life and beyond. Even up till now, parents of my school friends call me that. Lammie is cool (and so am I). But in my family, my Mother likes to think that I'm her "Little Flower", though I remember while I was growing up, I signed off my books with "Little Snake". People can be so disillusioned sometimes. Flower. Snake. Big deal.

Then I came to Afghanistan. In Afghanistan, I'm called "Sudut" by my Malaysian peers there. When they email, when they send texts, heck even when they talk about me in front of me (or behind my back), they call me "Sudut". I once pointed out a typo to one of them mass-mailed us and who wrote "Dear Angle". Since then "Sudut" got stuck. Nicely. Truth is, I love being called Sudut. To my friends I left behind in Kabul, thanks. For Sudut and for everything else.