13 December 2006

Walking Away

Have you ever been so angered at a work meeting that you just wanna do the Craig David thingy and "Walk Away" halfway through the meeting: "I'm walking away... From the troubles in my life... I'm walking away... Oh, to find a better day... "

We must all accept, and I must learn to do so too, that there will always be brown-nosers, losers, stupid people and strategists in workplaces. I attended a meeting at work today, was totally pissed off from start to end of the meeting, voiced my opinions and objections, and was really really really pissed off by my boneless boss that prompted me to immediately write this when I stomped back to my desk:

"I write to confirm that I am resigning from the position of Senior Media & Communications Officer with your organisation with immediate effect. I have decided that it is time to move on, and have accepted a position elsewhere. This was not an easy decision and took a lot of consideration. I am, however, confident that my new role will help me to move towards some of the goals I have for my career. You may remember that I have sacrificed a good career at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to work for your organisation, under the delusion that I would be able to offer measurable social and economic contributions to your conflict-ridden country. I have, however, no tolerance for wasting my time in organisation that makes a mockery out of my working experience due to its chronic mismanagement, political favouritisms and most crucially, a boss who does not support me. By “chronic mismanagement” you would know that I meant a wide-encompassing range of poor leadership effects that continue to haunt the organisation despite repeated mistakes and lessons learnt. I feel that I will be better off offering my services to other organisations where I am certain that I will be better appreciated and supported. I wish your organisation every success. I would like to thank you for having me as part of your team over the past year, and wished that things could have been better... "

After writing that letter, I felt so good that I wanted to do this to everyone in my office:

Of course I will not be printing the letter out, but when I finally do, there will not be much edit. And when I hand in the letter, I will also do this face.